📚 Shoot the Book! Returns to Cannes for 10th Anniversary Edition
Shoot the Book!, the collaborative initiative bringing together French and European publishers with international producers seeking future projects, is returning to Cannes for its 10th anniversary edition. The event will take place from Thursday 18 to Friday 19 May 2023.
The Shoot the Book! two-day event will commence with a masterclass on Spanish-speaking audiovisual markets, focusing on audiovisual literary adaptations in Spain, Argentina, Colombia, and Mexico. Professionals in the production, financing, and promotion of film and TV adaptation projects will deliver presentations to identify the latest practices, trends, and major players in these audiovisual rights markets.
The same day, publishers will present and pitch 11 books at the event, selected for their strong potential for screen adaptation. The titles to be presented at this year’s 2023 edition include:
- Abîmes, Sonja Delzongle, Editions Denoël, France
- Je suis Camille, Jean-Loup Felicioli, Syros, France
- Monstres, Frédéric Richaud, Julliard, France
- Patagonie, route 203, Eduardo Fernando Varela, Editions Métailié, France
- Rhapsodie des oubliés, Sofia Aouine, Editions de La Martinière, France
- Rivage de la colère, Caroline Laurent, Les Escales, France
- Satisfaction, Nina Bouraoui, JC Lattès, France
- Soixante printemps en hiver, Ingrid Chabbert & Aimée de Jongh, Dupuis, France
- Before we were monsters, Katniss HSIAO, INK, Taiwan
- Enlightenment, Angela Steidele, Suhrkamp, Allemagne
- La linea del colore, Igiaba Scego, Bompiani, Italie
These pitches will take place at the Press Conference Room of the Festival de Cannes in front of an audience of film and TV producers seeking future projects, with an introduction by Festival de Cannes General Delegate Thierry Frémaux.
In addition, publishers and producers will convene for one-on-one meetings to discuss potential projects and adapting literary works for film, television, and other digital formats.
“Shoot the Book’s structure has evolved over the years, from a simple pitch session to what is, today, probably one of the largest adaptation markets and a major 2-day professional program dedicated both to publishers
and producers, combining masterclasses and opportunities to meet and discuss. This anniversary edition promises to be an exceptional one.” — Nathalie Piaskowski, Executive Director of Shoot the Book!
Shoot the Book! is organized by the SCELF (Société Civile des Editeurs de Langue Française), in collaboration with Institut français :
With the support of Centre National du Livre, Centre National du Cinéma et de l’Image Animée – CNC, Film Paris Region, Centre Français d’exploitation du droit de Copie, SOFIA, Pro Helvetia, BIEF and Frankfurter Buchmesse :